9.08.2008

Day Tripper

On Saturday we decided to go and visit the oldest continuously occupied settelment in the nation, St. Augustine. It was founded in 1565 by the Spanish. 1565! We walked down St. George street and looked at all the old buildings and tourist traps. We also visited Castillo de San Marcos the fort of St. Augustine. The city had pirate attacks! I love the feeling you get when you visit somewhere old and historical. All the building were so neat to look at. Aside from it being a BILLION degrees, paying to do anything and swarming with people it was a fun day. My favorite was the fort. All the walls of the fort were made from crushed sea shells. Did you know that Florida doesn't have any rocks?? It is one big sand box. We got there just in time to see the voluteers, dressed up in costume, fire the cannons from the wall just as they would have in battle. It was really loud. After the cannons fired Max looked at Ben and signed 'hurt' because it was to loud! What a funny guy!




The walls are made out of Shells! Can you tell??

4 comments:

Noelle said...

That's so cool! Max is so smart! It's so nice he can communicate what he wants and what he feels.

Anne said...

Did Max grow about three feet since your last post? Holy cow. He looks so OLD!!!

Ritch in Love said...

I have had several flight attendants and pilots tell Michael and I to rent a car when in JAX and head down to St. Augustine. I have heard it's so pretty!

Alta said...

That sounds like so much fun. I love history, I wish I did back in the school days. Max is so darn cute. What fun.