6.03.2008

¿Cómo se dice beach ?

On Saturday we went to New Smyrna Beach again but this time we had friends. These are our neighbors from Columbia! Senor Roger, senora Syda and senor Roger peqeño. They speak very little English and we speak even less Spanish but somehow we manage to communicate. Our conversations consist of two dictionaries and charades. Ben met Roger and little Roger at the pool on afternoon with Max. About a month later Ben went over to their house with a calendar and a dictionary to figure out when would be a good time to have dinner together. After two hours Ben came home and said dinner was next week. It was six o'clock and dinner was right on time. Usually I am way ahead or way behind on dinner but tonight I was right on time. 6:20, 6:30 and nobody yet. Ben and I laughed and said maybe our communication was wrong and we got the dates mixed up or something. No they were just an hour late. Aside from that we had a good time. Max slept the whole time and little Roger watched Stuart Little. We laughed showed pictures and had a good time. Roger says that Ben is his English teacher and I look like Miss America. Aren't they nice? Any one who says I look like a Miss America is my friend. They have lived here about a year. We don't know any details but in a nutshell they had to move away from Columbia for their safety and they came here not knowing any English (leaving their jobs behind, Syda was an accountant and Roger served in Iraq and was an Engineer). Syda works 60 hours a week for minimum wage and Roger just got layed off. We all have our own trials but I would not like to go through what they went through. Anyway we went to the beach on Saturday and had lots of fun. Little Roger was really scared of the ocean and Max loved it. We saw dolphins swimming and jumping. I just followed Max around while he looked at sea shells, did hand stands on his head and played in a little water pool.

Little Roger is 3 and isn't to found of Max since Max is always trying to play with his toys. Max commandeered Roger's beach chair but he was nice and let him sit in it. Big Roger always like to point out how dark he is compared to Ben and Max. Here he is showing the contrast.

We had lots of fun and we love being in a beach state!

6 comments:

Kurtis said...

That's so great that you guys have those friends. Friends really make a difference no matter how hard it is to communicate. Brody just started doing those head stands too. I laugh every single time!

watsonshuffle said...

Just remember who your best friends are...jk.When can we meet your new friends?We are excited to see you guys.

Unknown said...

hey Andrea!!

Max is so cute! It's so fun to read your blog and see what you're up to. Are you headed to SLC this summer at all? If so, we all need to catch up!

love,
Bri

Adri said...

I think you look like Miss America too! Can we be friends?!? Everytime I look at your blog I get so jealous because it make me want to move away to warm sunny weather all year long! I miss you!

Rob & Megg said...

Andrea-
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Life is good, looks like yours is too. I loved your post about Bismark- totally remember that dog, poor thing :). So fun to see what you and Ben are up too. Was Max born in March? I can't remember when your baby shower was. Fun to see the pics, I'll be stalking your blog now!

Stewart Family said...

All right Miss America! They sound cute. I am glad that you live in a beach state too. I just wish we lived in one now!!