1.16.2009

Memoir'sss

A few months ago I was reading a friends blog and she talked about a book that she had just read. Whenever I hear about books from others I am more likely to read it than just browsing the book store in hope to find a title that sounds good. Well in this particular entry by Katie peeked my curiosity so I kept my eye out for this one. When Ben and I took our little trip to Knoxville TN we stepped into a used bookstore to browse. Low and behold there it was, $3!! I started reading it on the flight home. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I couldn't put it down it was such a good read! I laughed so hard but also got sick to my stomach listening to her life story. Her alcoholic dad and hair brained mother really put these children through the ringer but Jeannette seemed to put a almost positive twist on her life. Walls really tells a good story.

The next book I read was a little more normal (normal as compared with the previous book) but SO funny! A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. I loved this book! I wish I could go through and quote all my favorite lines and stories. Like when her sister tells her she was adopted (not true).Then Zippy goes to her mother and asks if it was true and her mother confirms that she was indeed adopted, from a band of traveling gypsies. The stories that she told were so hilarious that I found myself all alone totally laughing out loud! Defiantly one worth picking up!! It is fun to read someone eles inner thoughts and take on life. Now I am in the middle of reading Change Me Into Zeus's Daughter by Barbara Robinette Moss. I have had it for while...I think I picked it up in Hawaii and just never gotten around to it. It starts off similar to The Glass Castle, an alcoholic father (but normal mother) and six children starving. It is so sad that children have to grow up under horrible circumstance that they themselves can not help. I will let you know how it turns out. I didn't mean to read memoirs all in a row but that just what I picked up and it has been a good change from the normal fiction stuff. Everyone needs a change now and then right??

3 comments:

Noelle said...

I LOVED the Glass Castle. It was so sad it seemed unbelievable!! I have to check out those other two. Thanks for the tips.

Ritch in Love said...

OH! I'm glad you read that book! It's a great read! Glad you suggested a new book for me to read. I've seen that in all the bookstores in the airports and never considered it. Now I'll read it! I'm currently reading "Trail of Crumbs." It's non-fiction but written as fiction. It's about a girls memories of her life before and after her adoption from Korea. Now she is the food editor of Cottage Livin Magazine.

Don't Hit Bikes said...

I love both these books. I think memoirs are my favorite. Let me know how your current reads goes. I have not read in awhile, but would love to start again. When are you coming in town next? Love ya.