8.27.2008

Fay a drop of golden sun...

Wow, I have missed all of August! I have so much to post about our exciting month...where do I start? We have been in SLC for most of the month attending a family reunion and a wedding. (And I have been totally OCD about the new Stephanie Meyers book, Breaking Dawn) Which were all a lot of fun. While we were there enjoying the crisp mountain air and dry valley heat we missed tropical storm Fay in Florida. She sounded like a pretty bad storm. As soon as we landed I could tell that the ground was just completely saturated with standing water. Ponds and lake were filled to capacity and in lots of cases overflowing. This storm gave me a glimpse of what a swamp/wetland habitat looks like. If you close your eyes and think of the Everglades or pictures of a swamp it is not hard to pictue what Florida looks like right now. The once muddy and grassy ground now looks like a smooth reflecting glass with trees sticking out of it. We live right across the street from St. Johns river which eventually flows into the ocean. The water is normally 6 to 7 feet below the dock but now after all that rain it is 2 inches away from over flowing. In the next couple of days it is predicted to cress and overflow as the storm heads north and as more storms come. Luckily Ben and I had minimal water damage. Other people in our apartment complex where not so lucky. They have big blue tarps hanging over their roof and windows. Hopefully the next big storm will not turn towards Florida. I think it needs to dry out here a little before Gustav comes closer or else we might have a swimming pool in our living room. Remind me why we got ground level/lake view apartment again?

4 comments:

Noelle said...

oh man that's scary! Did you guys have fun in Utah though?

Anonymous said...

So, does that mean the 'gators are closer to the boardwalk around the lake? Yikes! Sounds like you need to put that piano up on blocks. We loved having you in Utah, and miss you already. love mom

Ritch in Love said...

I hardly know anyone in FL, but I knew you two were down there and wondered if you had had any damage...yikes!

Stewart Family said...

Hope the next one doesn't come! I am glad you guys were Utah, so you weren't stuck in the house while it passed.